View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Looks good.

It is easy for them to site the turbo and plumbing behind the engine, as there is no gearbox in the way.

I note they lower the compression ratio to 9.5 to 1, and in the turbo section they quote 6 to 8 lbs psi boost pressure, and give examples based on 7 lbs psi. Handy to know this as a target figure.

Anyone wishing to convert now knows we can get 320 to 350 hp with this c/r and 8lbs of boost.

This aero set-up would not be optimised as a road engine. Aero engines run at 80 to 100% revs all the time, so torque and flexibility at lower revs are less important. This one is probably gutless till the turbo spools up.

I also note, even though they describe intercooling, there is no intercooler in the illustration. It must be the lower spec engine.

Because of our engine bay tightness, I am still a fan of adding a small supercharger and intercooler, which because of linear boost will make up at low revs for the torque and power lost from reducing the C/R. The reduced C/R will also allow use of regular unleaded, though naturally the car will be drinking more of it due to increased power output.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl