Old 12-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycros View Post
So i was driving my svx, not fast or anything. just driving

and i had just gotten off of the exit ramp when i started hearing this faint clunking noise.
at first it was really quiet and i hardly noticed it, but after going about 200 yards or so, it was clunking so bad it was shaking the whole car.

now it did it ever set distance, regardless of how fast i was going, so im guessing everytime something rotated.

unfortunately, i know very little about cars. my dad kinda looked at it and he said it was something in the transmission, maybe a gear tooth had chipped or something, or something in the front axle? idk..

also, after i got it to my house, i put it up on jackstands, and at some points when its accelerating, it just revs and the tires dont spin. just makes a grinding type noise.

any help would be greatly appriciated
ty!

Cody
Hi Cody

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Is your car AWD or FWD?

A strong possibility is the flex plate. It sits between the transmission and the differential, and is about the equivalent of the flywheel in a manual car. It transfers the power to the drive section.

It tends to crack where the bolts are, then makes noise. It is easy and not too expensive to replace. Run a search on "flex plate" and you will find the repair instructions.

[It could also be one of the universal joints to the back axle, but I'm guessing flex plate. If you have the car up on a ramp, visually inspect the universal joints to see they are not broken]

Best of luck

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl