View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 01:22 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Re: Crisis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
The attached graphic is the correct way to do the add on mod. The correct way would be to replace the Bosch 5 terminal relay behind the dash. Neither of these will create a problem if done correctly.
If you study the original method that I made the graphic for and published on the web, you will see that the security system has nothing to do with it.

It would be hard to imagine the points arching together and sending continual voltage to the low amperage starter circuit, causing the starter motor to continually run after the car starts.

Keith
I wired it correctly. It ran for nearly two days without issue, aside from the racket the drive shaft was causing.

The car only sat for half an hour between running fantastic and making this horrible sound that resulted in a disabled car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Years ago a local person bought a brand new Subaru something...
He had an extra key made (I guess by our parts dept), after starting his car he headed out the highway playing his music really loud.
The key was stuck in the crank position and fried the starter after about ten miles. We covered it under warranty.
Hmm... this had not crossed my mind. I start the SVX on average 30 times a day, I could see this happening, though I find it unlikely that I wouldn't have noticed the key not returning.
I did turn the key again after it became disabled, it turned normally...

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 12-15-2010 at 01:27 AM.