View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbir2001
Harvey, Petr, Phil,
I now have the black machine back after the new transfer valve has been fitted (3 hours labout by the way). Although it is early days yet, it does appear to have completely fixed the problem. I have only driven it for about 30k, but I have done a number of sharp turns including some full lock turns in the company car park. There is no trace of the juddering/binding at all.
So, I am delighted.
Many thanks to everyone who has given me advice, and, in particular to Harvey and Phil, without whom I would probably have ended up having the whole gearbox rebuilt, possibly without solving the problem.
Thanks for coming back to let us know how it worked out. The valve seems to stick in the on position, may be we don't work the LSD hard enough.

If we drive 'soft and easy' and don't cause the Limited Slip Clutch to operate, the transfer valve will stay in the off position, so that when the car does get some wheel spin (wet grass, mud, ect) the transfer valve moves to a position that it has not been in for sometime, so it sticks in that position.

I think it could be best to exercise the valve every now and then, by either spinning the wheels on wet grass, or inserting the fuse for a few minuits, to get the valve to move to the on position, so that it stays free.

I try to spin the wheels on the grass, every month or so, to keep it free.

Harvey.
Ps. This is only for the VTD AWD, Euro version. The US Transfer AWD is different, and inserting the fuse, does not move the valve to the on positon. That version can only be exercised by spinning the wheels on wet grass.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.