View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Replaced my tranny filter, now my pan is leaking...

Hello all,

I finally replaced my tranny filter and after I got the pan back on and tightened I'm getting a pretty significant leak out of the back right corner.

When I replaced it, I COMPLETELY cleaned the pan and the housing of all the original red RTV sealant. Following the directions on the RTV, I then applied a fair amount of BLACK RTV to the pan and finger tightened the pan to the tranny. I was sure to surround every bolt hole, and I put a fair amount in each of the little "valley's" between the holes (see picture for reference). After an hour, I torqued the bolts down to factory spec (something like 8 in/lbs or so, I don't remember now).

In hind sight I think I might have used too much RTV since after a week of letting it sit there was still uncured RTV on the valley section of the pan.

Now, I have two questions...

1) Should I avoid putting sealant in the valley area and simply apply it to the perimeter and let the valley's be the "overflow" catcher for excess RTV?

2) I am having a heck of a time getting the black RTV off. I have MOST of it off, but some of it just refuses to budge (See picture 2). I'm sure I could EVENTUALLY get it off, but if it's imperative that it be 100% removed, I'll probably just order a new pan.

Thanks in advance everyone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tranny Pan 1.jpg (92.3 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg Tranny Pan 2.jpg (95.8 KB, 211 views)