Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady View Post
Joe,

He's got 4.11 gearing. This is one of the reasons Tom prefers the 4.44 - we have had practically NO problems with them, and MULTIPLE problems with the 4.11's.
Thanks Diana.

I must have looked at that too quickly, I guess.

You know in a way, the higher the final drive, the more torque the load bearing components such as clutches have to endure to shift the car. For that reason the most difficult transmission the SVX has to manage is the very high geared 3.54 OEM one for the US market.

Taking that into account, then the easiest transmission to drive will be the lowest geared one, in our case the 4.44. And this theory is proving to be correct in Tom's and Diana's experience.

Going a step further, the next easiest on clutches should be the next lowest, the 4.11. You say Diana that this transmission is not proving to be reliable in the SVX, and that is back to my original point. I suspect the 4.11 is fitted to lower powered cars like the Legacy 2.0 because they have less power available to push a high geared transmission, and they have less need of a high top speed.

Both of these factors may indicate that the standard 4.11 transmission is equipped with poorer [i.e. standard] quality clutch packs which are not able to take the pounding the SVX 3.3 can dish out, because they were engineered to handle only what a low powered 2.0 engine could generate.

Going back to the 4.44 transmission, there are probably a number of factors that help in making them reliable. The obvious is it is lower geared and easier to shift [I mean move weight, not change gear ] the weight of the car. The other is these transmissions possibly come from vehicles that are expected to do heavy hauling, maybe even towing and off-road work. I'm thinking of the likes of the Forester here. Designed for pulling heavy weight and possibly towing, the transmission will probably have tougher clutches as standard.

Well, that's my theory, sorry it's so long winded.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl