Thread: Oil Change
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2002, 10:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Synthetic or not?

Quote:
Originally posted by billisa
I used Synthetic in my XT Turbo, but I wonder about how much better synthetic would be on a non-turbo SVX. If you use a quality product and change it every 3,000 miles, I wonder if there are any significant benefits. Mine is a '92 LSL with 142,000 miles and she uses almost no oil between changes, so thus far I've stayed with regular oil. Does anyone have an opinion as to the best regular oil? Castrol? Kendall? Havoline?
The fact of the matter is the oil still gets dirty from contaminants and needs to be changed. The peace of mind vs. perceived value vs. ROI will be argued to death and really isn't worth the effort. If you're not driving wide-open all the time, maintain your car to run well and change the oil on time regular multi-weight will work just fine.

It's been a few years but the last time we did a spinning load test Kendall GT1 came out on top by a significant margin. The other name brands were pretty well grouped together about 25% down scale and the off brands were trailing way back.