View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Engine Temperature Gauge Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
It turns on both fans at full speed, so not really.
So after more testing today I have come to the conclusion that it is fine.
Here is some hardcore data for peoples.

Over the course of 1.2 miles there was a elevation increase of 550ft. Temperature (A/C was not on) went from 187-194 climbing the hill. Once the hill was climbed the temperatures went back down to 187-189. (all maintaining 65-70mph).

Another hill was an elevation increase of about 700ft over 2 miles. A/C was on again and I did not go over 194. (Again 65-70mph)

Only thing I will note is that with the A/C on after about 45 minutes of driving coming to an idle resulted in the temps hovering around 196 then downwards after a few minutes. This could also be attributed to cap apparently leaking a small amount going to look into why this is as its a new cap. Going to make sure the PWR isn't causing it to sit too high.

I did change out the sensor for another one I had lying around and it is still sitting at the same spot. I can't explain the change but I will have to live with it. I did see when costing down hill and the temperature reached 178 it went to its old spot. I don't feel the engine was running so efficiently it never went over 178 so I will just assume all is well.

Just in case anyone else notices the gauge sits higher its worth checking data. I did know about the dead zone of the gauge but did not want to make assumptions.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles