Old 12-19-2002, 05:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Smile I can beat that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Interestingly enough, I've had bearings go out on the Right and Left rear sides. They made different noises. When the RR went out, there was a distinctive "drone," while the LR made more of a "wah wah" sound (of course, it could've been my proximity to the bearing that caused the varied sound). I discounted the LR bearing as tire noise for as long as I could, but, as it became louder, it became apparant. The crazy thing is, it was making the noise all the way back from New York (when I drove the car home). I'm surprised at the resiliance of these bearings. I'd put almost 10K on the car before it was loud enough for me to take it seriously.
My RR bearing was noisy when I got the car, but not nearly as bad as the [bald] Japanese Dunlops the car came with. It quietened a lot with new tyres.

I did 17000 miles the first year, and after another 8 months the bearing got to be unbearable [Don, you out there??] I reckon that means I put 28-30 K miles on the bad bearing. It got to CanAm noisy as your Megan was over here. When I could no longer hear the radio, I fixed it.

So yeah, I reckon they are resilient.

They could collapse, of course, so not a good idea to ignore completely. However, racing off to the shop when you hear a noise is not necessary either.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl