Thread: timing advance
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: timing advance

Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
thanks for the input. on page 3 of section 2.2 of the factory service manual, it says,"ignition timing [BTDC/rpm]:20º ± 8°/610"

OK then, what i understand about this is, up untill detonation, the more advance the better so that the flame has time to burn the air gas mixture and has its maximum pressure at tdc. in comparison to other engines the subarus have a very conservitive timing map. on my 92 , with the newly installed headers, the select moniter shows a timing retard of up to 10 degrees, the timing advance goes up to 50 advance. when i tip in on the throttle, the timing retards, possibly due to the slightly louder exhaust, causing the spaek knock sensors to react.
when the timing retards the engine goes off song, and power drops off as well. i know i can insulate the 2 knock sensors, but that takes away a very good safeguard.
I don't know about svx's in particular but you could be right about some change you made to the exhaust getting picked up by the knock sensor. I know with chevy rebuilds often forged pistons will trip the factory knock sensor. I don't really know what to do about it.