Thread: timing advance
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Actually the 20 degress is the base timing. The ecu then uses a factory created 3d table to determine how much to advance the timing from there according to engine rpm and load. It then advances it a lil more until it senses knock so that it runs on the very edge.

As for reprogramming the base timing in the computer via the select monitor I'd love to hear that that is possible but i highly doubt it. I wouldn't advance the base timing but that would indicate the computer was flashable. That is how it is done on the newer subaru computers; however, subaru has offered a program change for the svx once before and it was installed via an eprom chip (this was to address issues caused by lower octane fuel in i believe 92 and 93 cars). Eprom's were the standard at the time of svx manufacture. It's an Erasable Programable Read Only Memory chip which must be removed, erased with uv light, and then reprogrammed with a programmer in order to change the program (code, constants, table values). I've considered examing the svx ecu to determine the processor so i could look up it's opcodes and what memory configurations it is available in and if there is an assembler/dissambler program available for it but as of yet I haven't done that.