View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Re: '94 FWD transmission non conversion swap questions

Okay, now that we know what the TC stall RPMs are, some further questions come up:

1. I understand that the normal lockup on the TC is done by the TCU -- and so the stall RPM won't effect the lockup from a MPG standpoint on the highway. Is this correct?
2. Given that the turbo TC has a higher stall speed, what will the effect on driveability be?

I would think that the major effect will be when the accelerator pedal is punched hard -- and then the engine RPM would be higher before the non-TCU RPM based manual TC lockup would occur. I would think that this might actually be somewhat beneficial because 3100RPM is probably closer to the maximum hp the 6cyl engine puts out. When downshifting to pass because of accelerator pedal depression, there might be more power at the higher RPM CT lockup which would cause it to accelerate faster when passing?

At lower accelerator pedal depression, the TC would engage, but wouldn't lock up until higher RPMs were reached. Would this feel sluggish, or would the driver just get used to using higher RPMs to "get off the line" when quick acceleration from a stop was wanted?

I look forward to y'all's thoughts and opinions on this.

Philip