View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 04:11 PM

Re: '94 FWD transmission non conversion swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
You can use an SVX torque converter (and input shaft) with any 4EAT transmission.
If you use a 4.44 torque converter with an SVX transmission it will overheat and fail.
Hi Tom,

I understand that the '93 Legacy wagon Turbo tranny has a 3.9 differential -- so it's not a 4.44 TC.

Do you know what the factory TC stall speeds for the '93 turbo legacy wagon, and '94 FWD SVX are? Tapani mentioned the turbo probably has a higher TC stall speed, but it would be helpful to know what the difference actually is. I haven't been able to locate this information online.

I have asked my favorite Subaru Parts person Leah if she can find out this info. If she gets back to me, I'll post the answer here. It was surprised that some Subaru "aficionado" hasn't already posted a chart showing the differences between the various 4eat trannys used on various Subarus. It would be very useful information to have to have some tables showing the various clutch packs, TCs, and differential ratios were used in the various versions of the 4eat trannys, as well as an application guide showing what cars each version of the 4eat tranny were used on. If anyone here knows of such information, maybe you could start a thread and post it either on this forum, or on the www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum which would server a larger audience than just SVXs (and post a link to it on this forum).

Update: Leah called back and said that the '94 FWD SVX TC has a stall of 2350-2750 RPM, the early 90's turbos have a 2800-3200 RPM stall.

Thanks,

Philip

Last edited by phreich; 09-06-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Updated with TC stall rpms