View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 PM

Re: '94 FWD transmission non conversion swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
It will work, and you can just use the rear housing off the original FWD (After removing the rear Transfer unit)
Hi Huck369, et al,

I have found a local 4eat out of an AWD 1993 legacy turbo touring wagon that has 108K miles on it for $250.

Online research seems to indicate that this has a 3.90 differential ratio, which would work on the SVX.

Other responders in this thread indicate that the 4eat trannys built for the turbos have either stronger or more clutch disks in them than the non-turbo 4eat transmissions. However, some responders say that they are all the same. Does anyone know for sure?

Will there be any issues with the turbo AT's torque converter bolting up with the SVX flexplate, or do I need to use a turbo flexplate with that torque converter.

From Huck's post quoted above, I am lead to believe that converting an AWD 4eat to a FWD 4EAT is a simple matter of unbolting the transfer case at the back of the AWD, and bolting on the FWD rear case instead. Huck and others, have you actually done this (or the opposite), and know it's just that simple, or am I likely to need to disassemble the AWD 4eat and replace components at the tail end of the transmission or in the integrated differential in order to put the FWD rear case on it?

A question I have for you folks is; how to determine how much is too much wear on a used 4eat? In my experience with other ATs, there is always some clutch material, and maybe a bit of magnetic sludge in the bottom of most ATs. I understand you just don't want to find lots of either, and certainly no metal bits or fragments. The ATF should also not be dark and smell burnt. What should I expect to see in this 100K 4EAT from the '93 legacy turbo wagon? Are there any special tell-tales that I should look for one way or the other?

Is there any way to determine if the subaru 4eat transmission has been rebuilt by looking at anything on it (unless made obvious by a label or stamping)?

The other local used tranny's are much higher mileage -- 165k and up, that's one of the reasons I am interested in this tranny.

I am thinking of picking up the tranny tomorrow, so your timely advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Philip