View Single Post
Old 02-12-2002, 05:50 PM
suby_qa

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
I much prefer the safety restraints from the old Sly Stallone movie where the car instantly fills with expanding foam...

My take on Airbags?

First let me remind everyone that I was working in an auto body shop when these things hit the streets so I saw first generation side effects.

Permanent hearing damage, windows blowing out from the pressure, failure to go off when someone runs straight into a tree, etc.

I think they are an OK idea, I still prefer to wear my lap and shoulder belt.

Why on earth don't the manufacturers make a 5 point harness that is as easy to use as a lap belt?

That's the way to go.

The airbag was a reaction to a problem.
Problem: people don't wear seatbelts. Solution: make auto shoulder belts.
Problem: people wear auto shoulder belt, but don't fasten lap belt, slide down seat in accident and decapitate themselves in an accident. Solution: Airbags.

Airbags: Forced into the market before they were ready. It took almost 10 additional years before they worked most of the bugs out. People died at the hands of airbags during this "Field Test"

No offense to anyone that's lost someone. I've lost some very close friends to auto accidents. But come on! How much hand holding should the government force auto makers to do?

You don't want to protect yourself? Maybe you shouldn't stay around long enough to pollute the gene pool.

Side Airbags: I agree that side airbags are a great supplement. They are smaller, need less explosives and protect you in the direction that your seatbelt doesn't. They are designed to help your seat belt, not to replace your seat belt like the front air bags were.

Doug (climbing into his flame suit)
DITTO!