View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Be careful how you go with this Trevor, in case you are compounding a problem. Too much ATF does not stop the car from moving, it will usually overflow out the filler pipe and/or burst some seals on you.

Too little ATF will stop the car moving.

Crazy is probably nearer the mark on your problem. Most likely culprit is a clogged strainer, and the pickup tube is not getting enough oil back in the box to run the system.

This may also explain why it's showing overfull; the oil can't get past the strainer back into the box.

You need to drop the sump and clean or replace the strainer. Then refill with clean oil, possibly use synth or semi-synth as you are in a cold place.

Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiv0 View Post
alright

the car has been running fine in the mornings, no problems
so i decided to check my ATF today to see where it sat
and just like last time i let it run in park on a level surface, but the ATF level on the dipstick was at Low

so, im just going to throw out an idea
could the filter possibly have been clogged, and then when i pumped some out, it helped the filter let oil through?
because now the stick says low, so im just guessing that maybe there never really was "too much" ATF in the tranny??
maybe the filter wasnt able to let oil through when there was too much in there...i really dont know
This is what I was suggesting in my earlier post above; a clogged strainer not letting through the cold viscous oil in the morning before the oil heats up. Remember the oil will be very slow to heat up in your cold location, partly because of the oil cooler in the rad.

It's easily checked Trevor. Drain it, drop the transmission sump and inspect the strainer. Clean or replace as necessary. Also replace the external filter if there is one, they are not expensive, better to be sure.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl