View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Modded headlights wiring

Yes and no. I tested wires under the fuse box in engine bay, found one that was powered at ignition, then decided I didn't want to splice into it. I really wanted a factory look to where I'd have a switch by the wiper switch under the dash that'd turn on both tail lights and halos and have its own fuse.

Any possibility I could find was going to be a ton of work and wasn't going to make my car faster and the bling value of the having the halos as DRLs that way wasn't worth the trouble. So, I took the easy way out and wired them to the parking lights. Wires went through the rubber fitting behind the battery and did the splicing behind the corner light (easy enough to pull.) Only had to wire to that one, it provided plenty of power to the two Morimoto ballasts.

Now, for DRLs, my tail lights and front corners are on along with my halos. I like that the SVX has the dimmer over ride button at the tip of the light switch. That helps. I think clear corners would be even nicer.

I had the halos put in back in about 2012 before I noticed they really exploded in popularity. Were I to do something like that today, with there being so many halos, I think I'd go with something different. Still, it looks good enough and cost enough that I wanted to be able to see them. They fit the look of the SVX to me.

I keep forgetting that you are in Casper; one of the few other SVXs in Wyoming probably. It's a nice car to drive on our long open roads here! And the crosswinds are almost unnoticeable compared to driving my pickup.