Thread: Plasma Booster
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 AM

Re: Plasma Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
At last we have a fact of facts. First, well and accurately stated, secondly confirmed by one who in fact, if he wished, could ride the placebo band wagon towards a thicker wallet. It is not difficult to recognise those already aboard, collecting the fares, or duped into the ride.

As for the Plasma Booster, think multi spark ignition. Surely the name tells all. Should have been Placebo Booster. Henry Ford used it on the model T, but for very different reasons. At the change of century, is it now possible/necessary/better to ignite a highly combustible compressed gas, many times? You got to be quicker than quick to do/suggest it!

P.S. Plasma --- An ionized gas consisting of positive ions and free electrons in proportions resulting in more or less no overall electric charge, typically at low pressures (as in the upper atmosphere and in fluorescent lamps) or at very high temperatures (as in stars and nuclear fusion reactors).
• an analogous substance consisting of mobile charged particles (such as a molten salt or the electrons within a metal).
Yes I think we have a winner !! Tom is absolutely correct that you will not, in a car weighing 1500kg, with an auto trans, feel a power increase of 10% significantly from the drivers seat. A chassis dyno will, and your timing slips should, but not "the seat of your pants".

If you said you had reduced the vehicle weight by 10%, well thats a different matter !!

I have often wondered about these "multispark" systems as seen at classic and vintage car shows across with globe, and I having checked out the website of the product sited I assume this is a version for "modern" vehicles. My observation is the same as for the classics : How many times do you need to light a fire once it's already lit ??

We are looking into true plasma torch ignitors for our Industrial Gas Turbines, so we can light ever leaner mixtures in our low emission combustion systems. The plasma "flame" is very impressive and would melt a "normal" sparking plug in a few seconds !!

Phil.

Last edited by Phil Hill; 07-13-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: correcting smelling pisstakes again.........