View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 12:19 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Re: Special tool?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxcess
Don says his crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer came in today. He asked me what the torque values were, so I got him the info from the service manual, which was 108-123 ft.lbs.

As part of the timing belt replacement, it showed a special hand tool for holding the pulley stationary so that you could loosen the pulley bolt and tighten it to the correct torque. It is called a "crankshaft pulley wrench". It looks like a long breaker bar with a disc on the end with a hole in the center to allow the pulley bolt to protrude through and either 2 or 4 pins which must match up to holes in the pulley to keep it stationary. You slip the tool over the bolt and into the pins and hold it with one hand while you tighten or loosen the bolt with a wrench in the other hand.

Is this tool exclusive to the SVX or something that any shop who does timing belt replacements would have? Is there another "trick" or tip to stabilize this pulley so that he is not trying to turn the crankshaft while loosening or tightening it? (With the free play in a moving pulley, accurate torque specs could not be obtained.)

How would he get a tool like this, if a Suby shop did not do the work?
The best Pulley holder on the market is a filter wrench that wraps a belt around the oil filter and tightens against it, using leverage you are able to untighten even the most difficult oil filters. This same tool works very well for holding the pulley stationary while undoing the bolt, but the belt on the tool must be long enough to go around the pulley, and support the handle with a pipe against the ground or other stationary object. I'f your not familiar with the tool, let me know, but most auto parts places and even tools places have them, they can even be known as large diameter Pipe wrench, that does not scar the surface of the item.

Duh, there it is, a strap wrench, sorry, didn't see all the posts above

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms