View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 04:41 PM

SVX Engine cooling "Again & Again"

Okay guys I am going to be a pain in the A__ and stat this all over again. My reason is that at this time I don't know anywere in the world that someone has an SVX engine that stays cool at high revs. Right now we have blown 1 engine due to heat and my friend Steve with the buggy has blown 2. If we asked around I am sure the total will be over 10 engine that have either been blown completly or just head gaskets.

What I have found recently is the following:-
- Multiple pass radiator "DID NOT" slove the problem.
- A bigger Radiator "DID NOT" slove the problem (buggy radiator is 3 times bigger then my PBR).
- During the recent desert crossing I notice on my 3 tempreture guages that the water going into the top of the radiator was at 90C the water coming out of the radiator was at 70C but the dash temp was overheating, above 115C. Didn't check at the time but after noticed cool had spillied from the overflow tank.

So the big question is what do we now know.
The only way my over heating issue can happen is that the left head was overheating as that is were dash & ECU temp guage is. It is also possiable that is the water boiled in the left head the pressure would go up and would cause the coolent to overflow. This can still happen when the radiator is cool because tempreture and pressure behave differently.

Now we are cutting the cross pipe and will post photos of the job in the next couple of days.

Will keep you posted.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 09-16-2009 at 04:46 PM.