View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 08:49 AM

I just had the ES-12a put in, and I highly reccommend it! I also found out that you can add it to the existing R-12 (or R-134a), which makes it even more ideal! (I didn't have to evaccuate whatever expensive R-12 still remained in my system, so there was no reason not to try it!) The ES-12 also comes in a version that contains flourescent dye so you can check for leaks with a UV light. I bought one of those. The other can I bought was labled HC-12a, but it is the same as the ES-12a, probably just a different brand. Each can was only $10. The guys at the store where I bought it tried to sell me some kind of conversion cap, which they claim was necessary for going from R-12. I didn't buy it, which is good because they were wrong. (So don't let anyone try to convince you that you need any conversion equipment.) The guy who did my recharge just had a simple device consisting of tubes, a high-pressure valve, and pressure gagues. No pumping was necessary. It wasn't until the second can that my A/C started to really get cold.

He only charged $35, so my total cost was about $55! We didn't see any leaks in visible light. He told me to check w/UV the next day. I checked that same evening at twilight, and didn't see any escaping gas, but I forgot to check the next day. I'll have to do that today!

By the way, before doing the recharge, I mentioned the topic of this thread to the guy who did my tranny. He wasn't really listening to me, though. He just said that they didn't touch the A/C (Duh!) and that I must have a leak. I didn't push the issue. Afterall, if any transmission work will cause the A/C to leak, isn't it really a design flaw on Subaru's part that's to blame, not a tranmission mechanic?