View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryb
I have a '92 SVX with 260K on it and we are having a problem that I have heard other SVX owners have also experienced. I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this problem...

The altenator seems to charge just fine (14v) when the engine is running above 1000rpm's (normal driving). However, when the car is idling (700-800 rpm) the charging voltage drops down to around 11volts. If the car is left idling too long or the battery is old and it is very cold out (Canada eh)... the car will konk out.

I have talked to the dealer and they know about this problem on older SVX's even with new Subaru rebuilt altenator's. But they don't know the solution.

Has anyone ever experienced this and found a solution? Let me know.

Thanks,
I have no experience of that sort of cold , may have some effect. The 14V above 1000rpm seems normal, the 11V at idle is not. When the engine speed is below the charge speed of the alternator, the system relies on the battery, which should be 12.2V when it is not being charged. For it to be 11V either the battery has a large load no it, or it has a bad cell.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.