Thread: Audio advice...
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 09:16 AM

Like Tim, I also run the CDT CL61s. They replaced a set of Pioneer (the Premier line) components and the sound quality jumped up a notch that was more than just objective, i.e., I heard sounds in my car that I'd previously only got at home or with headphones. Of course there are better speakers than these, but none that I've heard at $150.

From low - to - high in price, I personally would buy Pioneer, Infinity, Image Dynamics, ... By the time you get to Image Dynamics IDMax series price point you should also have considered brands that include Elemental Design, Adire Audio, Diamond Audio, Resonant Engineering, JL Audio....

BTW, I also don't much care for their (Infinity) component speakers based on a price/quality trade-off.

Tim, if you ever decide to redo your door mounts try a little dumpster diving at a kitchen counter fabrication shop (what I did - of course I guess you could just buy the stuff, but where's the fun) - find a piece or two of Corian. Cuts like hard maple (so wood tools can be used) but has resonance characteristics almost like you mounted them in granite or concrete.

And let me know what you end up thinking about doing with your trunk. I'm torn between under the rear deck or in the area at the far back - just to the sides of the trunk lid. I really want to be able to stick in the occasional 2X4 so at least the middle has to be open.