View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Anyone have

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxxx View Post
weird, my car has OEM struts on it 179k miles on it found a receipt in glovebox that they were replaced at the dealer around 110k miles. They still seem to be working fine and no leaks as of yet.

Or did they change manufacturers or something in the last 5 or 10 years and thats when they became lower quality?

Nate what brand of struts to you recommend then?
You may be lucky being that the car is in Alaska, and the fact that they were replaced awhile ago. The problem is when you get new OEM struts, they have been sitting on warehouse shelves for 10-15+ years. Like I said, being you are in Alaska, they may just get stuff directly from Japan or they were replaced long enough ago before they sat for too long.

"Tim" here on the forum replaced his under warranty twice before he was out of the warranty and ended up having to put in Koni's which is what I would suggest. It's a little bit more than the OEM, but they are manufactured new, and I believe they even carry a lifetime warranty to the original owner. The other option is if you have a local shop that deals with hydraulics or similar type stuff, they may be able to completely rebuild the unit. It's hard to say but it might be worth a shot and may end up being a worthwhile and cost effective option.

-also, there have been others who have replaced with OEM only to have them fail, reinstall, fail, reinstall, fail, oh snap, i'm out of the warranty period so I'm SOL...

Sorry for clogging your thread B4YOU, but this info also helps you as well i hope