View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 12:06 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX
Re: Who's Racing Their SVX?

I just started doing local AutoX events. We run based on NASA rules and the SVX is in the NX-E class.

The first event had a very tight, and technical layout and I was not able to exceed 35mph. With Nevin's larger RSB the rear of the car rotated nicely. I noticed the steering is not very direct and takes quite a bit of input to go were you want to. (Better tires might help, leading to my point) My first run was a 75.847 and I got progressively faster. The last (6th run) was a 66.648 Out of 10 in the class I placed 4th and the fastest car in my class (Miata) ran a 61.092.

The second event consisted of a more open layout and I was able to hit 45mph. In this event I had to focus more on keeping as much momentum as possible throughout the turns. SVX is not exactly quick! Also, when I did use the brakes I had to use them hard and I wasn't always happy with the outcome. With the higher speed around corners I could really feel my sidewall rolling as well. My times were very consistent up to the point where it started downpouring. My first run was a 50.986, progressively faster again,with my fastest (4th run) being a 50.334.

So, I'm now looking for better tires. Something sickier with a stronger sidewall, but also not braking the bank (Under $150/tire) and lasting more than a season of AutoX.

I'm currently running the BBS STI wheels 17x8 ET 55 wrapped with Gmax AS03 (It's an Ultra High Performance All Season tire). They are surprisingly really good tires for the money (I paid $95 per tire) but just not up to par for the sport.

Any input on good tires? I'm all ears!
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker