Thread: RWD conversion
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: RWD conversion

On mine, it is made up of a Standard Impreza Manual Tranny, that has the center diff welded up....then I disassembled the front axles and used the outer stub to hold the wheel bearings together, and the inner stub basically as a "Dust cap" on the tranny, as the axle seals are on up inside the tranny, and won't leak with no axle in them, but would allow dirt and grime onto the axle stubs....and I plan to return it to AWD one of these days (been saying that for about 3 years now)
The car is basically useless in the rain or snow (I almost looped it once on the way back from Reading in the rain)....but it is fun to play around with...
Handling sucks, as it really needs a MUCH bigger front sway bar to run RWD, and maintain decent handling...I've been considering trying to mount one off a Trans Am onto it to see how that does.....with the stock suspension, it is REALLY easy to have the back end pass the front end.....

You need to keep the front diff gears in place if you want to have a speedometer...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"

Last edited by huck369; 05-01-2009 at 12:51 PM.