Thread: AWD vs FWD
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 05:46 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: Re: Re: Re: I know what you mean

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I wouldn't exactly call it a 'manual.'

But if you could tell me which pages to look at, I'd be happy to read where it says that. Still, I wouldn't take everything that book says as gospel without corroborating evidence. I've owned my SVX for long enough that I don't actually remember where I first read that torque split was typically 90/10 and up to 50/50. But I'm pretty sure that the most it'll transfer to the rear is 50% - not the 90% you claim.

Edit: I just looked and the R&T Guide does claim that, under normal driving conditions, the torque split is 60/40. But in the same sidebar they claim that the car uses the ABS sensors to detect wheelspin and this isn't the case. The car uses speed sensors 1 and 2 in the transmission to detect wheelspin.

That same sidebar claims that the car can shift enough torque to make it rear-wheel biased. But no numbers are given and at this point I consider their information suspect. Again, I'm almost 100% positive that the US SVX is only capable of putting 50% of its power to the rear. Subaru tends to tune its US-bound cars towards the understeer side of things.
I didn't mean to refer to it as a manual.. I'm not very good with words so ya have to kinda bear with me... The only reason why I stand behind the 60/40 split is because I asked myself this question... What would be the point of making a car with a torque split of 90/10??? What good would that do?? I just don't see what subaru would have to been thinking if they made an AWD system like that... That would mean that our AWD cars behave like a FWD car when we are just crusing on the Hi-way right?? AAHhhhhhHere I go... The only reason I really don't want to believe it (Not that it applies to me anymore anyway 5MT) Is because all I have owned were FWD cars and I hated the way that they drove... I guess I could just be in denial about the whole thing... Who knows... I am interested in it though but now I just don't know what to believe... I wish we had a book that could be referenced to to find all our questions like this... That way there would be no doubt at all... anyway

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...