Thread: saving tranny
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2003, 05:07 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Lwin, just for curiosity sake what'cha got against aftermarket tranny coolers? It's the first thing every manufacturer will typically recommend for anybody planning on hauling a lot or trailering with a vehicle. Just trying to find the logic or maybe better yet how to bribe the tranny gods.

Nothing at all. I just dont' believe that you need it (as long as you get the recall done on the 92s). The reason behind that is as follows: I had a 92LS-L with over 120k(when I sold her to Rally) and that car had original tranny and the best shifting SVX I had in my collection. My first 94L with original tranny died at 75K and I am on my rebuilt tranny SVX with 200k and the rebuilt was done about 70k ago. To tie all the ends, my theory is as follows. It does not matter if you have the newer tranny(94+) or the older one (92/3), it all depends on how you or previous owner push the car. If you drive normally and by that like I do, tranny will last a while. For the record, I drive fast, not hard. If you drag the car every chance you get, it does not matter if you have the SVX tranny or a Hummer tranny, it will die. So my thing is if the car is taken care of and if you don't drive hard, you will not need an aftermarket cooler. Also, cooler sucks in the midwest in winter. Tranny takes forever to heat/lock up.

L

ps. Also, I heard about people in the middle east with SVXes and they don't have the cooling trouble. They however think it's the issue of flow rather than cooling. You can cool as much as you want with a cooler but if there is not much flow of cooling fluid, your tranny will still be hot and it will not help as much.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!

Last edited by Seraph; 09-17-2003 at 05:10 PM.