View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Hello,

92 SVX: Country of origin is Germany, so i suppose it will be ACT. I would like to stay stock, tranny-wise, but definitely put all recommended mods in it.

I would be curious, which option is more durable: stock 4.44, or modded 3.54 ?

Also are there some differences across phase 1 4.44, in terms of durability, or better said: is there some preferred donor car ?

svxcess: Thank you very much for asking your friend. His answer gave me hope that it could be not that bad after all.

The thing is, that for one week a have been looking for an SVX service manual.
I have only found that 92 manual on this site, but there, i have not found any pages dealing with line pressure, including AT transmission page.

Are there instructions somewhere? I don't have a pressure meter, so i have to go to a car dealer for service, but I would like to give them exact instructions, how to do it properly.

Because from services (even Subarus) I have contacted myself, I cannot say, I could feel much of confidence, after I said them, i have an SVX

Thank you.

Best regards,

Filip

Hi Filip,

Your transmission is the 4ACT, the same as the US version. The problem is the high clutch that has failed, it is used in 3rd and 4th. the problem won't be the “A” solenoid on the line pressure or it would not have 1st, 2nd, or reverse gears.

The high clutch failed mainly due to the high 3.54 final drive ratio that the US cars had, so it will last better with a lower ratio like the 4.44.

Your best choice is to do a 4.44 swap from an Outback of about 97, do a search for the 4.44 swap.

Harvey

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by svxcess; 10-08-2018 at 07:03 PM.