View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 04:56 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Copy of jamsvx2 yahoo page

SVX Prototype

As discussed on the preceding page, although the SVX was, and indeed remains, a radical design for production car, many of its design fetures are not unique and it is my opinion that a number of Giugario designs, specifically the Etna prototype, not only predate the SVX in concept but in addition, predate it as a wholly original concept. Before you email me with abuse, such an opinion is firstly subjective but secondly, such a view means that one can trace the heritage of the SVX past the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show and past the 1986 concept (below) till it can be seen how little the design has changed from original concept to actual production model to as far back as the Etna in 1984. In 2001 as I write this, how many car designs 17 years old can stop traffic for its futuristic looks? If you can answer that, then feel free to email me!

SVX Concepts

Quite a few pictures here have been scanned from the Road and Track publication on the SVX and others I have obtained from the Net. Again, credit to those sources whose names and sites have long dimmed in my memory but let me know and I will cite you!

I cannot get a larger scan of the image to the above or right but they illustrate the emergence of the SVX from the Vortex of 1985 to the 1991 production model at the far right of the timeline. The image on the bottom right of the above image is of the prototype that appeared at the 1989 Tokyo Motor Show and I have scanned in images from the SVX Concept Brochure for your enjoyment further down the page.

These concept sketches clearly show a more rounded and in my opinon, less aggressive concept. However, a lot of the styling cues do seem similar, especially on the sketches marked with a 1) and a 2), to the Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo 3 rotor.

To save space and bandwith, go to www.3rotor.com for some detailed pictures and compare!

1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration

Last edited by subbieatnz; 07-18-2009 at 06:32 AM.