View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
This statement has just been proven incorrect. Tom is no fool.

What is more full race engines are built with increased tolerances, one of the important reasons being, the lack of opportunity to run them in.
Which tolerances are those exactly? Bearings do not need any "run them in" time as there is really no friction surface except for startup. Also, bearing tolerances on race motors are typically slightly bigger because of much higher heat loads typically found in race conditions.

The ONLY thing on a modern engine that does any "breaking in" is the piston ring to cylinder wall. Tell me, with some technical background, how being easy on the engine will do a better job at creating a good seal?

Also, the worst advice I've heard is to wait 1000 miles before changing the oil. thats 950 miles too many! after those first 50 miles the majority of the piston ring to cylinder bore has been "mated" for lack of a better term. all the tiny metal shavings that this creates are already in the oil. You want to get that out as soon as possible.

As to the absolute statement, you are correct in saying that it was a bit over the top. I'll restate. Almost every "performance" engine. I know for a fact that the LSx series motor, all porsche motors, BMW M motors, most bike motors have all been dyno'd/run on a track before the end product is sold.

This is one of the reasons the c6 LS7 motor almost halted production. During dyno testing of production motors they were getting failures. Turned out to be some supplier tolerances were to tight, as well as some machining that should have been done but wasn't

due to it being late, i'll just supply the link http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Read over it, keep an open mind. Forgive the author's over enthusiastic nature and slightly lame use of large fonts and bright colors at times. I've seen dyno testing that, while not perfect scientific method, proved this to work.

I'll be breaking in my engine in this way.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker