View Single Post
Old 07-05-2003, 08:14 AM

Several people have had this problem, myself included. The fix isn't always the same, but in my case the problem was inside the door lock actuator motor itself.

two ways to address my suggestion, but both require you taking the door lock assembly out.

First way: Take assembly out and disconnect motor from lock assembly by separating pin from motor. This leaves you without power locks - and may have an impact on the passenger side lock since it gets triggers from the drivers door lock position.

2nd way, in two parts:
a) get a new door lock motor and replace it.
b) open motor housing and note location of two or three copper strips that make contact with a rotating gear. The thinest of the strips sometimes bends outward just enough to lose contact at the right place. Put just a bit of pressure on the thin strip to make it move toward the center of the gear. If you look you'll note the gear has a raised portion that causes the thin strip to bounce up and lose contact (it's a kind of electrical stop signal). Anyway, this also causes the strip to get a sideway load each time it hits and eventually the strip has gotten enough pressure applied to it to bend ever so slightly out a bit. You don't want to put enough pressure on the strip to see a bend or crimp (that's replacement time for sure), just enough to get it back in place. Has worked on mine for a few months.

Alternately, there is a door lock timer module (on my 92) behind the glove box and then behind the security module. It has two relays. It could be this module, but it's less likely.

I'm not always good with wordy explanations so ask away for what you didn't get on the first go around.