View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX
Re: new coilover opportunity (March, 2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
If you want performance and handling, you will have to sacrifice comfort. If you want your car to soak up every bump and ride like a Caddy, it will probably handle like a tank.

You see I have a problem with that blanket statement. I'll tell you what. Grab yourself a ride in an Evo and then a STi. The Evo will impart a sense of absolute control with razor sharp steering response. Great right? Well on a smooth track there isn't another 4dr car on the planet that will do the job better. Yet get that same car on a bumpy, uneven road and all of a sudden its firm suspension, bushings and super fast steering become more of a liability.

Now enter a known "softer" STi and while not near as good as the Evo on a track, get it on a bumpy road (I prefer dirt!) and OMG, you know exactly what Subaru was on about. Its planted and soaks up the bumps and such that would have an Evo in the ditch.

Now consider that most of us will never push a SVX around Silverstone or Laguna Seca, a really firm non-compliant ride serves what purpose? This isnt a dig but an honest question. Yes we will get a much needed option for replacing our struts and the ability to adjust the ride height to our personal taste. Does it end there? Not a bad thing if you ask me. But if thats all it is... so be it.

I worked for BTCC driver Gareth Howell while I lived in the UK and he taught me a few things. One premise can not be debated.... "Build a car for its intended purpose with parts designed to work together properly".

So with that in mind could the SVX tolerate a 135lb spring rate increase w/o sacrificing ride compliance and handling? Do we wonder about other suspension components like ball joints & bushings tolerating the increase? I mean we are doubling the spring rate at just 275lb. I dont know to be honest. I'd love to drive one with that set up to find out. I am REALLY interested in these coil overs. Now if we could get some feedback on them once installed. Granted everything is subjective when dealing with what each of us may find acceptable.

As always, YMMV.