View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
Hey look at that. I figured it couldn't be TOO long before someone else from planet earth wandered in here and decided to explore this section of the minds of the SVX community. Welcome friend, and good luck to you. You have decided to enter an area where logic has no place and common sense is dismissed in favor of advertising claims. I've been down this road before, and it's a long one.

But thank you for showing me that there is hope out there, that the hugantic ginormous advertising budgets that the import carmakers are wielding have not brainwashed EVERYONE on this planet.
Don't worry, you see some amazing things outside the world of SVX Land as well. It is nice to take a vacation to gain an international perspective, though.

The Japanese didn't advertise their way to success, though. They made small, gas-sipping, reliable cars with good build quality to gain a foothold in the US during the fuel crisis. Those Japanese carmakers agreed to work together to minimize direct competition with each other and compete more with American brands, much like the way that the Japanese consumer electronics industry took over in the US by working together, collaborating and sharing technology, and competing with American companies instead of each other. In Japan, it's called good business practice; here, it would have been called collusion. The Japanese government played a key factor in outlining the overall battle plan and and having the muscle to get all the companies in line with that plan.

Either way, it wasn't advertising dollars. Just like how Volvos were built like tanks at one point and have exploited that image ever since.