View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by snik
checked it.. it has no resistance (open circuit)

did a band adjustment at the dealer today... no change... 1st, 2nd ok, when it shifts to 3, it goes to neutral (does not engage in 3rd .. so there is no slippage,, it feels like its shifting out of 2nd and then goes to neutral)

took off the pan... there was some metal pieces in it... looks like a thin 4" dia metal ring that was disintegrated... found 2 pieces of it... so i guess my tranny has gone south.. dont know what those metal pieces were.

will i need to get a new resistor after i put the 4.44? none of the dealerships have them in stock... would a 12 ohm resistor from radio shack be ok?

now assuming any 12 ohm resistor works,.. is it worthwhile getting a resistor, hooking it up to see if it shifts ok or not? meaning, will that resistor cause the no 3rd/4th gear issue I am experiencing now?
Gee I hate saying this all the time, But. The high clutch has gone, the "4" dia metal ring" pieces that you found are part of the high clutch plates.

The high clutch is needed for 3rd and 4th. The box needs replacing. The resistor won't cause the trouble.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.