View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Hooray for guardrails

So the first day of snow came on teh 31st, along with many many accidents.
My SVX is still in the body shop and will be until at least Friday.
They found $1000 worth of more damage, which insurance will pay for. The value of the car has already been exceeded.

I've been driving my mom's Grand Cherokee around so I can get to and fro', and she borrowed Danny's Ford pickup.
She didn't ask, but what the heck they are friends, used to be married had a daughter, they are pretty cool.
So my ma is movin out of town. This means she as to drive 45 miles of highway to get back into down.
Yesterday, she comes into my store, "I need the Jeep".
She looks pretty shook.
"Ok, where's the truck?"
"Crumpled on a guardrail on an overpass."

Apparently she hit a patch of ice at about 65 and tried to pop it in 4wd, but that just made it spin out.
Crazy.
She called Danny, he was pissed, moreso about her taking the truck than crashing it 0_o
She has her boy looking for another one, and Danny called up his insurance, but blurted out that he didn't let her use it, so they can't give him anything now unless he reports it as stolen.
Right now he is debating whether to do that.
If he does, he get's money. Ma will likely get arrested.
Oh how fun.
At least she's alive right?

And what do we learn?
If you got 4wd, use it.
I did 80 during a blizzard at 3am on that same highway last year in the SVX with my crappy all-seasons.
A rwd pickup with an empty bed is one of the worst things one could be driving in icy conditions.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.