Thread: Tranny rebuild
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Re: Tranny rebuild

I bought a 94 SVX trans from a wrecking yard for a core, had it rebuilt at DRW Transmission in Santee CA., which is near San Diego. Several SVXers have used them in the past and they are known for doing quality work. In speaking with Don the owner he felt a quality job done on these transmissions should cost at least 3k and that was in a conversation several years ago. The trans that they built has been stored for two years. I just did not have the time or funds to trailer it the 300 miles to have it installed. Their fee for installation was to be $500. My local Subaru dealer said their fee would be 500 as well. I really preferred DRW but decided to trust the dealer. They are actually doing the installation today. They have phoned and want 55.00 extra to install the updated flex plate as recommended by this forum and I was surprised at there lack of knowledge of an SVX. They claim SVXs never had trans problems. I am chewing my finger nails at this moment. The service advisor sez trust us. Umm? I have had 6 subarus , lost an engine on 96 GT wagon. My SVX has only 76K. I treasure my pearlie. But his is the last subaru I will own. Steve