Thread: O/T SIA Plant
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

O/T SIA Plant

Well it seems that Isuzu's troubles continue. In this week's Craine Auto news there's an article about the Isuzu and Subaru plant and Isuzu's American future. Things look very bad. Apparently the new 2003 model manufacture date has been pushed back to the end of Nov (from July) with Isuzu promising that vehicles will be made there in 2003. Currently there are talks going on between Subaru, Isuzu and GM concerning the future of Isuzu in the Sport Ute business. GM has already stated that Isuzu should get out of the Sport Ute business. Possible future uses for the plant include Subaru buying Isuzus 49% to work on a joint GM and Sub 7 pass. tall wagon. Problem with this is GM is balking b/c of Subaru's stuborness to go away from the boxer designed motor . What should they go back to a pushrod designed boxer?

The article goes on to say that the factory is expected to produce even less vehicles in 2003. Around 160,000 from a high of 200,000+ in 99.