View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM

Drove my 97 for the first time

Hello Gang,

I believe I must hold the record for the longest dragged on purchase on record. I first heard about my SVX on this forum in Dec 2007 and finally got in contact with the hard to reach owner in Feb 2008. Negotiations, storage, life delays, more storage, travel, and finally transport to the Canadian boarder and then another 28 days of storage before boarder crossing.

Well yesterday, Nov 18th I drove the car home from the US/Canadian border, a 45 mins drive from Champlain, NY to Montreal, Canada.

First drive impressions are not all that fair as the car has mostly sat from Feb 2008 till now. It was exercised every month to keep things healthy. It felt a little stuffy from being closed up for so long. The tires were in need of some air and I could not find a gas with a working pump station till I got close to home and by that point I just decided to do it at home since I did not have a gauge with me. The front wheels are of coarse on backwards. I will need to restore or change the front lights (I will change for new ones). The driver door window switch cluster is loose and presses in some when pressure is applied to the most top window-lock button. One rear passenger speaker sounds fuzzy, rest of sound system is perfect. All glass and panels are great inside and out. Got two original keys with original SVX remotes. Got OEM cup holders Got a new set of spare beige mats still in the original package/plastic aside from the ones already in the car . A new battery last month. New full service done March 2008 by previous owner with complete breaks and rear bearings plus all fluids changed.

So my first drive...
It drove nice but I think it could have been nice since it was needing air in the tires. No they were not dangerously low as I would not have driven it but it was visible to me. It was the first time I have been in an SVX since late 1991 (my friends father bought one of the first 92 model Pearly back then) yet alone drove one. I think the window with in a window black trim will take some getting used to. I also did not like the steering wheel position. I adjust the telescopic part but the tilt seems to only have two positions, up to get out and down which blocks my view of the speedo. If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it.
I know I need to change the spark plugs as the originals are still on the car and yes I know its a pain to do.

I will follow up with more on it after I get it past through Canada inspections so that I can plate and insure it. At that point I will have it detailed and rust proofed for the season.

Regards

Max