Thread: inner tie rods
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Getting ripped of...

Ripped off is routine at mechanics shops. For people with a mechanical aptitude, reasoning ability, gathering information from this form gets us through just about any problem.
However, trying to to do a wheel alignment is not on my list.

I took my SVX to Renton Subaru in Renton Washington for a alignment.
They offered a lifetime guarantee for about $120.00.
I try to get as many things on our car guaranteed for life as possible. If there is a day that I am not around and my wife is, I want things to be as easy as possible.

After a careful professional diagnosis , I was informed that it couldn't be aligned because the ball joints were so bad. That would cost me $1,200.00 so i went to plan "B".

Plan "B"... purchase the ball joints wholesale from another dealer, (this dealer does not do alignments, in case you are wondering why I went to Renton Subaru in the first place) and install then myself.
I paid about $80 each I think but not sure... Has been a while.
One ball joint was totally tight and the other one had a little but hardly detectable looseness.
In other words, a scam!

I changed them both in a total of about an hour and with only a floor jack in my crowded garage.

Took it back and got the "lifetime alignment"!!!

My car seemed to be pulling slightly to the left, probably needed tires rotated, but why not take it in to Renton Subaru to make sure the alignment is good?

So, off to Renton Subaru for the second of my lifetime guaranteed alignments! I pretty much know the people that run the place, but I happened to get one that didn't know that I can do all the necessary repairs on my car...

I will be 78 years old this coming June and easily fall prey to crooked folks.

I was greeted warmly and had a sheet pushed in front of me that said it was necessary for me to get the $200.00 Maintenance thingie because I hadn't been in for a while.

I went over the list and explained that I actually do all that myself. I reiterated that I was here for the lifetime guarantee alignment. He responded that they would just do an alignment check... But that was $55.00 with taxes. The lifetime guarantee covered turning the alignment bolt but did not cover checking to see how far to turn the alignment bolt.

I am an easy going person, but the ensuing conversation drew a crowd.

He took off the $55.00 and ended up no charge. They kept me there for a couple of hours and finally, after expert diagnosis, determined that my frame was bent, assuming he was referring to the car's frame.(of course it isn't... car has never been in a wreck) On second thought, he might have been referring to me, my frame???

A few years back his frame might have been bent!

I got the tires rotated at Costco, a great company, and everything is great.

I think about my wife if I wasn't around to help her and her trip to Renton Subaru, or frankly just about any other place. She wouldn't know how to handle the scams.
I am so blessed!

I suggested that all you people.. don't be afraid to try to learn. Willing to try is a great start!

Keith... in case you didn't catch the name, it is Renton Subaru...in Renton Washington

Last edited by kwren; 05-29-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling (of course) LOL