View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 11:13 AM
highpockets

Wow,this topic floated slightly off subject ! It is obvious to me there are several people that have extensive background/knowledge in what I am talking about so let me dig a little deeper here. I am speaking of only a gear swap into a 92 Auto with a fairly fresh Factory trans. Gears only,not trannys as I will lose clutch packs by going to a Legacy trans and forester Is too pricy. This leaves Gears only and 4.11 is my preference. As I understand it you can swap the R/P in the front diff Direct Bolt in but it Requires Major disassembly to R&R the Pinion shaft (thanks Subaru ! ) The rear end I can bolt a R/P to my existing LSD and that will allow me to run my Stubshafts and keep the limited slip. Does this sound correct,if not totally oversimplified ! As I understand it Gear ratio along with carrier style is based on individual model spec,not merely car line as in Legacy/Turbo?manual or auto ,base or deluxe and so on.To narrow my search then it appears an Auto Leagacy front diff will work and either a complete LSD rear diff in 4.11 or a Open gearset in my Diff. The saga continues,I am picking up a core trans Monday or Tues and will start from there. Thank you for all the informative and intelligent replys so far,cross your fingers and wish me luck