View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 AM

Re: glowing dash idiot lights

All this talk about glowing dash lights, poor power, fluctuating MPG and the infamous "shudder" or "no power" (idiot lights) on key turn.... found out after careful inspection that my own engine ground strap/earth connector is bad..original factory wire still there!! HUH! It looks like it's been through a meat grinder and it's brittle n' soft. This would definitely explain my poor acceleration at certain RPMs going down the road and weak turn signals and other strange issues. Other than having to remove the Air Box and reconnect afterwards, this is such an easy fix! ��
I get poor acceleration between 40 - 50 MPH and then 55 - 60+ it always has topped out at about 60 on normal throttle (half throttle) which I find odd. When I bought it in 2000 it had much better range the first 5 years (had excellent range from 0 - 120 with ease!) then slowly dropped off with age...though I do have a ton of oil leaks I have to fix someday (this should help the performance and range once I can pay a mechanic for new intake gasket and valve cover replacement seals..costly) STILL need to have the original cam seals replaced..and I know they're bad. Haha.
Anyways, I'm on it! ��
Replaced that pesky Engine Ground Strap..yep, had to remove Air Box to get to it. Pain in the arse!! Old O.E.M. wire was melted AND corroded..no wonder my M.P.G. fluctuated so bad. ��
Blade connector was barely making contact. So I removed the 2 bolts holding on the ground wire (scraped the firewall down to metal for better contact) and replaced the wire with a proper 8" long Ground Strap from NAPA, (remove negative cable from battery before doing this) though I had to tape the ground strap with black electrical tape so it would not come in contact with any other wires close to it as precaution. Put it all back together, started it, drove away
Ok, it runs even better now. No power loss between 40 - 50 any more and it's 'spunky' with giddyap!! Hey hey! ��

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 06-22-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Oil leaks... Ground Strap