View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 5mt on the way, pre-game double checking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
You should not have to do anything for the front axles. If the 5MT has stubs, which it should, than the front shafts will connect directly to them.

The rear end you are kind of screwed about. The SVX inner CV only works in the SVX rear diff, and the old JDM mechanical LSD rear diff (very rare). The problem with swapping to another R160 out of the newer models (like your 05) is that you can't use the rear shafts from the newer vehicles either because the SVX has the larger outer CV end that matches the STi. You can swap to an R180 rear diff and use the STi 5x114 rear axles, or you can get the custom built rear CV shafts to use the normal R160 (what you have from the 05) with the larger outer hub. They do make the custom rear CV shafts because of the WRXs that swap to STi brembos and hubs but keep their driveline.

This is the reason a lot of people get the WRX 5MT with the 1.1:1 center diff and the 3.90 front ratio, because that matches up with the 3.54 rear diff in the SVX already. As Dragoontwo said, you can swap the LSD carrier into the 05 rear diff, or the ring and pinion gears into the SVX rear diff. Keeping the LSD carrier from the SVX will allow you to use the SVX rear axleshafts exactly as they are now.

The pic Dragoontwo posted to is from when I swapped to my STi driveline and pulled the SVX rear diff and shafts. You can see that the SVX rear shaft inner CV are unique. All of the other subaru diffs use symmetrical inner rear CVs.

As a recap, your BEST option for the rear end with the parts you have is to use the 05 rear diff and have the LSD carrier from the SVX rear diff swapped into it. You will end up with the correct gear ratio to match the 5MT you have and have the correct carrier to match up to the SVX rear axle shafts.

I have to head out now, but I'll try and comment on the pedals and firewall setup later today if I can.
Question for you, or anyone actually.

He says the rear diff from the 05 lgt has LSD. is it the vlsd of the wrx, or mechanical?
And is the 05 lsd he has better or worse then the svx's?