Thread: need info
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2001, 10:33 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You might also consider an extended warranty policy. Normally I wouldn't recommend one but if you buy a good one it can save you a ton-o-bucks. The added benefit is that you'll keep the car in better shape, as you won't be afraid of repair bills.

I haven't used one personally (as a mechanic I haven't had much need for one... but when I step up to the plate for an SVX or any late model, high-end, used car, I will. Geez, the price of parts alone these days is frightening. The only benefit from NAFTA that I can see is that the quality of everything has gone to heck - but that's another story...

I checked into "Warrantybynet.com" last week and got a bid on a '95 w/37,000 miles. The price for full coverage ranged from $882 for 2 years/30,000miles to $1099 for 3/40 and $1725 for 4/50 coverage. These prices reflect a $100 deductible, a $50 deductible is also available. I'm not recommending this company in particular, I've never dealt with them. They may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, maybe not. I'm just tossing this out as a place to start your research, if you're interested. It just seems to me that if a new tranny is going to be $2500+ the coverage would be a no-brainer. Then add in the other items like an alarm module, some injectors, how about some oil leaks, an evaporator, etc...

Beav