View Single Post
Old 10-04-2001, 04:54 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: GRRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
there was smoke coming from the engine bay. Thanks.
Mat-1
I am cocerned about your situation. Smoke is not good as you know. That has to be very hot to get smoke.

I guess you have a stock radiator? Drain it, pull it out and check for blockage. I used either, starting fluid to check mine and flowed real easy. Mine also had road dirt stuck in the fins at the bottom of the radiator. Cleaned that that out too. Actual my senior neighbor Smitty volunteered. What a great guy!

Yes the dip stick is very hard to check. After you pull the stick out it coats the inside of the tube and can give a false high reading. Wait about five minutes between taking readings.

Try draining about a pint out of the trans, take a reading, keep lowering the level until it gets to the bottom of the stick. This is a way to check where you are at. Watch out! That fluid is hot.

I have noticed that when the torque converter is not locked up the tranny makes the most heat. So if one is always on and off the gas and under heavy accel and up hills it seems to just build the heat up. I have noticed mine does not cool off until the torque converter locks up. Were you driving hard before pulling into the drive?

The engine heats up pretty fast but the tranny takes about a half an hour to reach operating temperature while driving.