View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 04:21 PM

Did adjustment of the TPS help?

I ask because I replaced my TPS AND adjusted it (twice). Using Trevor's approach, I changed the value a bit just to see if it mattered (changed from the 0.491V it was at, to 0.505V at closed throttle - at least that's what my DVOM showed). My car has the same symptoms mentioned in the original post - but only in a weird way - here's the deal.

When cold (for Florida anyway) the transmission up shift is less positive than when warm while in "D". So, I usually start out my morning drive in "3". The shift behavior from 2-3 is definitely crisper this way - no idea why. Also, if I start out in "d", I sometimes feel like the 3-4 shift slips a tad - no flare or anything - it just doesn't "feel" right. I'm a little paranoid about the tranny, so not sure this is just a cold start thing or a mental misgiving on my part?

OK, so now when having driven maybe a mile or two I shift into "D" and all is well. However, sometimes I forget and leave it in "3". Then when the engine has reached full warm, the transmission will start the behavior - feels like it's trying to downshift to "2" under little or no throttle conditions. Quarter throttle or more it's OK. Best description of the conditions is when slowing down like a traffic light ahead has turned green and you're letting traffic get up to speed in front of you.