View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Power Steering - Hard-To-Turn!

I have a reman. PS pump about 6 months ago and after reinstalled with new o-ring and whatnot it worked great without an issue for about a month before my timing belt broke.

Timing belt got replaced a little over a month ago and everything was great for a week then the squealing began. Figured it was because the belt was loosening so I tightened it. WD40'd the hell out of the pump and pulley and tightened a little more and it's helped tremendously but I also noticed the fluid was kind of high? (it seems hard as hell to tell how much fluid you're supposed to have in this thing) but after I turkey basted out about 5 sucks, it seemed to do a LOT better.

I know the weather (low 20's, some flurries at times) probably had a huge impact on that but the root cause I still do not know. I still have some tolerance left on the belt to tighten and still have the half inch pushy down factor. I'm hoping it's just because their was too much fluid in it, which will... at least to my understanding, cause it to be sluggish and such.

Otherwise, I'm clueless and will hopefully find an inexpensive means to getting it resolved.