View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 05:36 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Great minds think a lot

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Lee,

I have a suggestion to easily quantify the difference in the rolling circumference between the front and rear tires.

1) Find a piece of straight road that's at least 1/4 mile. 1/2 is better.

2) Write down the odometer reading for your car.

3) Mark the sidewall of all four tires at point on the sidewall that is closest to the ground.

4) Drive the car 0.1 miles. Get out, and note how much the front and rear wheels are out of sync. If your tires are as close in rolling circumference as you think, there will be virtually no difference after 0.1 miles. Drive another 0.1 miles and check.

I did this and found that after 1/2 mile, the front wheels had rotated only 1/2 more revolution than the rear wheels. This was with 37.5 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rear. With this information and a rough measurement of the rolling circumference (for my wheels its 6.4 feet), its possible to calculate the difference in the rolling circumference of the front and rear wheels. For the numbers above, the difference in rolling circumference between the front and rear wheels is 0.25% which equals 0.2 inches. Pretty darn small.

Hi Mychailo, You beat me to the punch with the chalk! I am an advocate of the "KISS" principal in designing and this is a good example.

Your measurements of 1/2 a turn out after 1/2 mile equates to the center clutch slipping 1.77 turns in about 445 revolutions, or about 1.4 deg per revolution.
Considering that the clutch has very little pressure on it when cruising, this amount of slip would produce very little heat or wear.
It should make it easy to equalise the diffidence front to rear and also side to side. The camber of the road could affect the side to side roatation.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.