View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Re: Zero Pressure Waterless Coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Hey guys, my eldest just sent me a link to a Bimmer forum, describing use of Evans Waterless Coolant, espousing it's use to decrease cooling problems/blown radiators, raise mileage 10%, and last indefinitely (albeit at a premium price!). I don't recall seeing this discussed on this forum, and a search found nothing. Here's the manufacturer's link.
http://www.evanscooling.com/
Anyone have any real world experience with this product, or try it in their SVX?

Glenn
No real world experience from me, but some theoretical rebuttal. The whole premise of increased fuel economy appears to be because you can run hotter temparatures and reduce cooling fan usage. This requires A) a higher temperature thermostat (not likely available for the SVX), and B) a mechanical belt driven fan (not present on the SVX).

The idea of hotter temperatures seems suspect, given that engine (and transmission!) tolerances are for very specific coolant temperatures. Raising them could have very very bad side effects on bearing wear, cylinder wear, etc.

The site linked seems geared to heavy duty and/or trucking applications, where you would (I'm guessing) have more control over certain related functions. Specifically:
•Evans Waterless Coolants allow most engines to safely operate at a higher temperature. Engines can be safely tuned for more power or better fuel efficiency.
•When trapped heat is eliminated from the cooling system non-computer regulated engines can operate at higher temperature increasing engine efficiency.

Neither of those bullet points would you be able to apply to an SVX. Well, so long as it's an EG33 equipped SVX still...

It seems like it could have benefits in motorsports or heavy duty applications, where you have complete control of your tune, desired operating temperature, etc, but absolutely zero benefit for passenger car use...