View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Intake Resonator Removed...

Thanks deruvian for answering that question. Sure enough, I found the two additional screws holding the 'black box' in place with a metal bracket.

I was able to detach the lower right side of my SVX's 'under tray' and undo the lower screw with a wrench, however the upper bolt was tricky and after much effort, I was finally able to pry it loose and pull the entire resonator out.

I gathered up every piece down to the last bolt and washer, stuck them all into a plastic bag and weighed it on my digital kitchen scale - 2.5 lbs.

I also got out my saw and cut the black box in half to take a cross-sectional pic of the resonator which is shown below:

I figured all of this info could be useful to other SVXers in the future...

Observations: The induction sound of my car is now twice as loud! It is audible inside the car, but even more so from outside (according to my wife). The car has more pick-up and go and moves along quite rapidly even at half throttle.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results, and I'm not too worried about sucking in hot engine air as the fender well from which air is taken from is quite isolated from the engine.

The entire removal process took me about 2 hours (only b/c I also used it as an opportunity to detach intact pipe and clean my throttle bodies with some carb cleaner - Valvoline Carb Cleaner is the best!). I shaved 2.5 pounds off my SVX and improved the airflow to my engine! Not bad for a weekend project and a free mod.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)